Current projects undertaken by the Rotary Club of Kapunda are;
• Stage 2 of the Davidson’s Reserve project.
Rotarian Frank Ware has completed a stone wall to enhance the area and the Light Regional Council Horticultural Department has now completed extensive landscaping and construction work to bring the area in line with the original design concept.
The beautification of this is part of a long-term partnership project of historical and linear development, in conjunction with Light Regional Council.
• Rotary Club of Kapunda “Rotary Achiever Awards” to local Primary Schools. Students from Kapunda and Freeling Primary Schools are presented with awards each term to acknowledge their contribution to school life. Commenced at the beginning of 2006, 200 students have so far been recipients of book vouchers, medallions and certificates to recognise their efforts. Both school libraries have also received book vouchers acknowledging their successful students. The response from the school communities has been very positive with the awards greatly sort after. Club members have enjoyed making the presentations and promoting Rotary’s image in the community.
• Christmas Support. In 2009 the Rotary Club supported UCARE is collecting and distributing Christmas food items to needy families in the Kapunda and Gawler areas.
• The second Rotary Club of Kapunda Kidman Art Show was held in October 2009. Over 150 artists participated with 360 entries. The show was successful both artistically and financially due to a mutually-beneficial partnership between the Rotary Club of Kapunda and the Kapunda Community Gallery.
• Emerg Book. Over 400 “Emergency Medical Information Booklets” were distributed to hospitals and health providers in both the Kapunda and Eudunda areas. These booklets enable the frail and aged to keep an accurate record of their medical care and prescribed medications so that it is readily available in an emergency.
Recent Financial Support
• $2,000 towards the Rotary International Polio-Plus programme to eradicate Polio world-wide
• $2,200 to Kapunda Homes for purchase of a “Princess” Chair for residents.
• $3,600 to sponsor 3 Rotary Shelter Boxes as part of the global aid programme for people needing temporary shelter due to natural disasters such as earthquakes and freak weather events, including 2009 Victorian Bushfire relief.
• $1,000 equivalent support to Australian Rotary Health “Focus on Mental Health” through the Great Australian Bike Ride visit to Kapunda in 2009.
• $1,800 support to students at local primary and high schools in leadership, citizenship, vocational and sporting programmes.
• $1,500 on purchase of Community Seating for location in the historic Hill Street precinct in Kapunda.
• $400 annual support of Kapunda High School Christian Pastoral Support Worker programme.
• $300 annually to sponsor the education of two Indonesian students through the RAWCS programme.
• $500 towards transport costs in the delivery of educational and medical furniture and resources to the Solomon Islands and East Timor as part of the DIK (Donations in Kind) programme.
• $200 annually to support a student in the Rotary Indigenous Health Scholarship, as part of a Rotary Group 9 project in this region.
• $450 sponsorship towards Kapunda High School involvement in Barossa Schools Australian Business Week programme.
• $1,000 to the Rotary Foundation.